Upon the conclusion of WWI, Clifford Wood (the grandson of an English immigrant) went to work for a Ford dealership. There he honed his skills as a mechanic working on Model T Fords.
After working at the dealership for a period of time, a desire to have his own business became a reality when Cliff leased an old garage in Layton, Utah. Later, he built his own garage at 1265 South State, Clearfield, Utah.
With the outbreak of WWII and the consequential shortage of manpower, Cliff’s young son Lynn assisted him in the business until, finally in the 1950’s, Lynn assumed responsibility for the business from his father and built a new facility that featured automotive repair, gasoline sales, ice cream, candy, and sodas.
It was in this two bay facility that Lynn’s teenage son Don would join and assist Lynn by pumping gas, airing up tires, checking oil, washing windows, mounting new tires, and repairing flats while Lynn performed minor automotive repairs.
The garage was a social center for many of the community’s “Old Timers” as they would stop by for a visit and a cold soda pop or an ice cream bar.
In 1973, a new facility was built at 1275 South 1000 East in Clearfield. This six bay automotive service center featured full automotive service. A loyal employee and automotive technician Chip Preston played a significant role in assisting the family in this new opportunity for business growth.
Today, Lynn Wood Service Center has two newer locations in Layton and Clinton with a total of 20 bays and 16 associates. It is Davis County’s oldest Goodyear tire and automotive service center.
We take pride in the fact that our business is now fourth generation and many of our devoted customers are generational as well.
We thank God, our loyal associates, and our many friends and customers who over the years have blessed our lives so richly.